this is important and needs to be clarified because the international media are drifting off point.
- the original environmentalist protests started to rally against the destruction of gezi park and the plans to put a mall and barracks in its place.
- the protests then escalated to an anti-erdogan protest, criticizing his authoritarian policies and his frequent attempts to impose an islamic agenda on a secular country.
- the protests did not become anti government until police attacked the peaceful gezi park protestors at dawn with tear gas and brute force, and proceeded to burn their tents and personal belongings, also resulting in injuries. the reason it became an anti-government protest is that by attacking peaceful protestors with brute force, erdogan displayed his authoritarian methods yet again.
- the gezi park environmentalist protestors and the anti government protestors are both protesting the government.
- both have vowed to not back down until erdogan ceases attacks on protestors, fires the police associated with injuries and deaths, releases arrested protestors and stops using the police as a way to assert control.
- erdogan’s administration has jailed more journalists than any other country, and it continues to silence the media as well as the people.
- democratically elected does not equal a good leader. if you’re an american, you reelected george bush in 2004. give that a thought.
- the brute force of the police has only escalated since they went back on their promise to let the protestors in gezi park be.